Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:40:41 -0700
From:         "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AVP BS
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Now those of you New to the list should really take this advice or you may be the person getting nasty/boycott e-mail...........

Well, I'm not new to the list, although I've been gone for a few years. I've been on both the vanagon list and type 2 list for years. And I don't think you can boycott me because your not my customer. Howeve, I really did not mean to ruffle your feathers.

I don't wish to place to fine of an edge on the point, but Ed bought an assembled engine. AVP agreed to send (for several thousand dollars, I'm sure) a running engine. Ed obviously is not an engine assembler or he would have purchased only the parts and saved himself some cash. While your right that most places do not provide labor, that does not mean he does not have a right to it. He paid approx $2000 for an engine, AVP sent the product, yet he has to pay more to get what he paid for, a running engine for his vanny. If he took them to court, AVP would have to pay the cost of making him whole.

Under your theory, that AVP only has to replace the part but does not have to give him what he bought (an assembled rebuilt engine), AVP could merely shipped used engines and mail bearings or valves or whatever part if the engine failed within the warranty period.

The difference between your hypothetical (a starter) and Ed's problem is that Ed bought a longblock and has been mailed an internal part. I would be quite upset if I bought a defective starter from a FLAPS and was offered replacement bushing when it failed.

I'm quite sure that AVP is WORLDS better the GEX. I would not put a GEX in a Chevy. I'm sure AVP have been helpful and have given good service in the past. You may even sell AVP engines. What would you do if your customer had this engine? I think I know the answer.

You may be quite right that changing the head is simple and does not require removing the engine. (I have worked on upright aircooled only.) And I'm sure that I would have "someone who's never done one before" fix my volksy.

Maybe AVP thinks Ed is trying to take them for a ride for the cost of installation. I don't know. Maybe the person on the AVP end was having a bad day. Maybe Ed was rude. We will never know.

... Also if that person is willing to try to make the problem right, I think that you shouldn't forget that either. ...

Exactly, Ken. Everyone makes mistakes. Some products fail. Some employees need to be fired. People have bad days.

But good companies stand behind their product. If AVP comes through on this and stands behind there product, they have again earned our support. If they tell Ed to pound sand, I personally will look elsewhere for my engine needs. They might do the same to me.