Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 1999 01:11:48 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: AVP & Headgaskets in place
Comments: To: Edward Berlett <berlett@SABER.TOWSON.EDU>

> Do all the pros do the headgaskets without pulling the engine?

No, it can be done either way. The shop that we refer to (which is the best in the area) used to do them in the van but now pulls the engine. However, this is for logistical reasons only. They only have 2 lifts, and if they pull the engine someone can be working on it without the van tying up a lift. They would be the first to say that the job can be done well either way,

> Is the average time for a pro 3+ hours to do the job from start to finish?

Considering that the job was just done and therefore should be faster than usual (unlikely to find unexpected surprises such as frozen bolts, cracking water hoses, etc.), 3-4 hours for one side is probably in the ballpark.

> Is your hour rate $36 an hour?

They were $34.50 but just recently went up to closer to $45. A couple years ago I'd have guessed that $36 was about right. Now I'd say it's slightly on the low side.

For what it's worth, my experience with AVP has always been first-rate. They're honest folks and they stand behind their product. An unscrupulous rebuilder would never have admitted that there was a problem with the gasket in the first place, instead blaming overheating, faulty installation, etc., in the hope that you would go away. It would have been difficult to "prove" otherwise, and while you could have sued, etc., getting them to make good would have cost more than fixing it yourself. Believe it or not, rebuilders that think this way are not at all uncommon in this business. A more typical rebuilder would have admitted the defect but required you to "return the engine to them for repair or replacement," thus leaving you in the lurch for both labor and shipping costs. Again, they'd be hoping that you'd opt to fix the problem out of pocket rather than have to ship the engine back. Few other rebuilders would have been so quick to admit the defect much less offer to reimburse labor. It seems to me that AVP is standing behind their product as well as could reasonably be expected. The only quibble is whether their time and labor estimate is accurate, which is a minor issue compared to the ordeal you'd be facing if you'd dealt with a less reputable outfit.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com