Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:25:23 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Any better BRAKES? for 91 Westy
Comments: To: "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>

Horace, IMHO, I think the vanagon brakes are actually pretty good, if they are in good condition. If your brakes are not adequate, you probably just need a good brake job. I just recently did a brake job on my '90 automatic westy. I had the calipers rebuilt (with a rebuilt kit from vw), installed new rotors, and new OEM metallic pads, new drums, and new brake shoes, and new rear cylinders. Also rebuilt the master cylinder. My vanagon stops on a dime, and no squeaking at all. Sometimes in the morning, you can hear a bit of grinding for a few minutes when the surface rust rubs off. But that's normal. Also check your braker booster. Actually, if one orders most of these brake parts from one of the friendly list vendors, it's not too costly. Harald '90 westy

Horace wrote: > We live on a small but steep mountain. Just purchased nice 91 Westy, > automatic. > > Any improvements available in the braking department? I've had good luck > with Performance Friction pads for my Dodge diesel, I wonder if there is a > set for the Vanagon, or some better alternatives. > > Westy squeaked bad while backing down driveway (steep incline). Could have > been some rust knocking off. Not driven since several days. And later I > noticed a some annoying faint squeaking while driving and not applying > brakes, too. Brakes didn't squeak while applying during short ride, but I > feel the braking is the weakest part of the Vanagon. > > HK