Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:11:43 -0700
From:         Steve Kroll <spkroll@MAILANDNEWS.COM>
Subject:      81 Westy with California smog problems

Hi Listees,

I am a new Vanagon (well used naturally) owner and a first time poster with a smoggy problem.

After falling in love with the idea of buying a Westfalia for a while, I finally found a van in great shape while working in Idaho. I live in San Francisco and searched locally but never found anything in good shape. So I found this 1981 Vanagon in what appeared to be good running order and I was just in the right financial shape at the moment, so I bought it.

It was a former California car so I didn't think I would have too much trouble with getting to smogged but I was dreadfully wrong.

Upon returning to San Francisco I wanted to have it tuned up before having the smog check done. This is when I was informed that the Fuel Injection unit had been removed and replaced with a Weber Carb. I noticed the carb before but didn't realize this was not standard. <I know I'm an idiot, I should of done more research.>

So now I have this beautiful van that will not pass smog. It will not pass the visual inspection and won't pass the tests as I am told it simply runs too rich anyway. I was told the cost of trying to buy and install the original equipment is so high it just isn't worth it.

I will have to take it to a Smog referee (I am told) and see what they have to say but I was assured by the mechanic that this van will never be legal in California.

I just wanted to get the collective wisdom of this list before I move forward. has anyone been through this before? Does anyone know an mechanic in the SF Bay Area who can do the work necessary to get my van back on the road? Any help at all is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Steve Kroll 81 unregistered westy :-(