Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 03:11:05 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Left Lane Bandits and Carrying Spares
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 22:15 4/8/99 -0700, Mike Finkbiner wrote: >In the discussions about long distance trips over the last couple of >weeks, I have seen a couple of references to driving in the left lane >so people can pass you on the right. That strikes me as a bad >practice.

Not to mention illegal to pass on the right in many states. No doubt I'm preaching to the choir, but the speeds on any road should rise as you get farther from the exit side (the right in the US). Now having said that, there's a special condition (which if I recall is what the previous correspondents were talking about). That is, again in many states, large trucks are not allowed in the leftmost lanes. In Massachusetts they are only allowed in the two rightmost lanes. On such roads it is inconsiderate (and frightening) to impede the progress of the big guys by dawdling in front of them, specifically in whatever lane they are allowed to use as a passing lane.

> >How many people regularly carry spare parts, and if so, which ones and >why?

I carry: an alternator belt b/c it's light and convenient a regulator b/c it's light and I have one <g> a filter and several quarts of oil b/c if the filter gets damaged and leaks, you can feel pretty dumb sitting by the road some coolant b/c I have a vanagon and it's handy to keep it in the van to top off some Alumaseal ditto some seizing wire b/c various of the lugs on my tin are gone, and the existing wire sometimes chafes (I use stainless or monel, so it doesn't rust even though it's wrapped around the exhaust pipe) a cheapo socket set, a couple of box wrenches, #2 Phillips, medium straight sometimes a little voltmeter, usually not spare H4 headlight bulbs, spare running/brake light bulbs, good assortment of fuses

Aside from fuses and bulbs, the only one I've *had* to use on the road was the oil and filter, and the tools rarely (a piece of a rear brake backing plate came adrift once and I got the drum off in a parking lot on the way to church). Actually I use the tools more often to help other folks beside the road. The ten gallons of water the Westy carries comes in handy for that, too. Modern belts are really good if you don't expect them to last ten years. I haven't traveled in places where there wasn't a VW dealer within 200 miles. I don't think I'd be changing a water pump beside the road, and I wouldn't expect it to fail catastrophically without warning anyway. If the alternator dies I can limp quite a way on the battery, assuming I see the light. My oil light is a superbright LED that *will not* escape notice even in daylight, probably should do something similar for the charge light. My general experience is that quite a lot can go wrong, but it generally gives some warning before it gets drastic.

david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net