Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:00:50 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Gasket seal question [NO VANAGON CONTENT !!!]

Is it "acceptable practice" to use some sort of liquid or paste-like gasket seal material that evidently hardens in place of a correct gasket seal? A while back I had a water pump changed in a car and it seems like some sort of reddish-brown sealant material was used instead of the correct gasket (I can see this stuff all around the outside of the water pump). My engine has been overheating a lot lately and when I looked inside the radiator, I found several pieces of this reddish-brown gasket seal material. I pulled out two pieces about 2 " in length each and I'm wondering if some more of this material has been floating around in my radiator clogging up something or stuck in the thermostat and this is accounting for the overheating. I'd appreciate any thoughts about the validity of using this gasket seal stuff before I go back to the mechanic and question him on why he didn't use the proper water pump gasket. For example, do some people use this sealant in addition to a correct gasket? I haven't taken the pump off, so I don't know whether or not this reddish-brown stuff was the only thing used.

Your comments are appreciated.

Steve

89 Westy