Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:58:02 -0400
From:         "David..M" <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Uniroyal Laredo

Stuart MacMillan wrote: > > That is a passenger car tire, and inadequate for your Westy. As far as > their load rating is concerned, the weight of a loaded Westy is too > close to the rated limit of 1400 lbs to be safe. > > I recommend that you replace them with what are called "reinforced" > tires, which is what VW specifies. These are "6PR," which means > "six-ply rated." Usually this means six-ply tread (two steel and four > polyester) and four ply polyester sidewalls, and they are designed to > run at a higher pressure than passenger car tires. Michelin (MX4) and > Uniroyal (Laredo) make these, among others. Check with Discount Tire, > Price/Costco (special order) or Les Schwab (store brand), and expect to > pay $500 for a set of four installed. > > This cost is why so many Vanagon owners risk installing passenger tires. > False economy. It is like skimping on brakes!! If money is an issue, > stay close to town and take short trips only until you have enough > money, or check the VW salvage yards for a good used set. I actually > found four nearly new Laredos last summer at a yard, and the guy gave > them to me for $60 because he was too lazy to go look at them. > Certainly the only good deal I have ever gotten at a salvage yard! > > There is no Uniroyal Laredo tire with a suitable size and max load for the Westy Vanagon. The LT195R14C does take 50psi but the max load (1325lb) is inadequate for a Westy. Also be aware that many Uniroyal Laredos are passenger tires.