Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:08:53 -0700
From:         Karl Batzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Strange noises from engine (longish)

A couple of months ago, I wrote in about a strange rattling noise from the engine...which I thought was exhaust or maybe just a dirty engine. I replaced just about all the exhaust system and the noise still existed. Then I thought I'd try some CD-2 oil detergent. In a short time, the noise disappeared....or so I thought. The noise reappeared again last month. So, last Monday, I took the time (once again) to investigate. The "noise" seemed to be coming from the new German muffler. So, I removed it and checked....odd....nothing loose. so I reinstalled to keep tracing. I finally tracked it down to the head on cyl #1. Compression tests all check OK. Then I removed the valve cover and started the motor and the noise got louder. It was coming directly from the rocker arms. I removed the rocker arm assy. only to find all of the adjusters tips flattened out. Also the clip that holds the spring and flat washer was "eating" into the flat washer and the rocker arm has a little play. I twisted the washer so that the clips rides in a different position....then attempted to re-install the rocker arm assy. I had a hell of a time getting the pushrods so seat properly and I noticed a little damage on intake pushrod end from the lifter side. I'm thing that the PO may have not installed the pushrods correctly in the first place and that all this crap is the "aftermath". The "question"....should I replace all the pushrods and rocker arm assy's, or just fix the "messed-up" one. The pushrod is not bent, but it just won't seat all the way. The "noise" now occurs only when cold. Any suggestion appreciated.... TIA

BTW: Does anyone sell just the rocker arm assys rebuilt? I don't seem to find them.

Karl Batzler 84 Vanagon 196,423 miles La Quinta, CA

[text/html]