Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Apr 1999 13:52:26 -0500
From:         Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>
Subject:      a shocking question

Volks, OK, My 89 Westy got new shoes (Michelin MXTs) but it still dips and rolls like a punch drunk heavy weight boxer. To the point that my wife starts getting car sick in the back seat (our 7 year old always beats her to the front seat). Anyway, I've already read many of the comments that have been given over the list about the Westy ride i.e. its a top heavy vehicle, you need to get use to the "bus ride", etc. etc., but with 60,000 miles and the orignal VW shocks I can't help but think I could do a little better with new ones.

Many folks have extolled the virtues of the KYBs (they're economical), the Bilsteins (they're definitely more expensive and don't come with a warantee...why would you want to trust them?), and the Konis (the grand puba of shocks with a price to match. The adjustability is desireable but the price is a killer).

I know that my Passat has spoiled me but the wife says I gotta do something about this and she doesn't care about the cost if it'll stop her nausea. So, THE QUESTIONS:

Why did you choose the shocks you bought? What's good/bad about the shocks you bought? What shocks do you think would be the best for a "ride on rails" feel rather the "Weeble people" ride I have now? Where could I get the best price on a set of Konis and what is the right model number (I have all this info for KYBs and Bilsteins already.)

Thanks to all! Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle