Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:06:14 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire thread, play safe!
Comments: To: Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>

I've got news for you. 5 out of 6 Russian Roulette players will survive with no new hole in their head. This does not make it a safe game no matter what these 5 might say. It is what happens to number 6 that is of the most significance. Buy good tires and keep them properly inflated. An extra 20 bucks a tire is cheap insurance and I can tell the difference in the ride, wet or dry. Get load C if you can afford them, get them even if you can't afford them if you drive a Camper or a loaded van. Get a small inflator so you can add air every month or so because they WILL need it. Add air as needed before EVERY long trip just as you should top off the oil, even if it only needs 1/2 quart. This is a lot more important than the weight rating of the tire or the brand of motor oil. Catastrophic failures are most often due to careless maintenance IMHO.

Mark Drillock way over 500,000 miles in VW vans and Campers many sets of Yokohamas and Michelins, no blow outs.

Mark Mages wrote: > > ...FTR - I have passenger car tires on my westy. I have > had no problems. No Blowouts, no uneven wear, just a > nice ride for way under 100$ a tire. I got em at > sears. If sears recommends them, and they blow out, > sears pays the repair bill. end of story....