Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:38:10 -0700
From:         David Most <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      propane leak update

Thanks to all those who answered my question regarding regulator replacement about 2 months ago. For those who are curious, I had purchased an '87 camper and had been told that the camper equipment had never been used despite having 160k on the odometer. I went to have the propane tank filled, and the guy told me that it was leaking at the regulator. In addition, he told me that he wouldn't fill the tank because it was too old.

I finally got around to calling a few local RV places, and one of them referred me to a propane shop. The guy at this place was very knowledgable and friendly, and he even encouraged me to install the thing myself. I didn't feel confident about it though, and after watching him do it and asking questions, I'm glad he installed the regulator. He first tried the Marshall 290 regulator, which someone pointed out is too long without bending the pipes. The guy said that it would be better to use another regulator he had. It was also two stage, but both stages were contained in one housing rather than having the figure 8 appearance. He also took off the plastic regulator cover and said that the current standard is to remove these covers permanently (something about gas being trapped).

Anyway, with the regulator replaced, it turns out that there was still a fair amount propane left in the tank (perhaps original dealer propane), and the fridge made ice cubes overnight.

Thanks to all for the help.

David