Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:48:02 -0400
From:         Paul Schiemer <schiemer@MAGICNET.NET>
Subject:      Tires, et al (LONG)

One call nearly does it all anymore (as Goodyear has bought Sumotomo & Dunlop recently). My EMail was responded to immediately; replete with the name and number of the Director of Information Worldwide (who wants to go nameless, if that's okay with y'all). Called him at home, and he was happy to answer my questions- knowing full well I was going to paraphrase herein.

Here's the vantage point of one manufacturer:

The Vanagon (specifically the Westy which I was asking after) has a certain displacement of weight supported by the suspension, tires and wheels. A fully loaded Westy, traveling at highway speeds, develops a lot of heat in the tire (friction at work). Their main concern with tire safety is preventing catastrophic failures of the tire (as well tractability, wear, water rejection, etc.) Most of all they don't want a tire to blow out a sidewall at speed. Forget, for the time being, about commercial concerns (price, availability, and competition in the marketplace).

If you're going to run your Vanagon 'round town in short bursts on the road, with medium to light loads- a passenger tire will not develop the heat, and won't destruct itself. If you're taking a trip in your Camper; with family, friends, pets, and all the junk you lug along- with any stint on the highway (at speeds of 50 mph or better) you NEED a tire with a reinforced sidewall. It can be a mere twenty miles down the road (loaded like this) and you may be taking a chance. Most passenger tires DON'T have reinforced sidewalls. In the old days they used a 'bias ply rating' on tires that, ostensibly, referred to the number of plys in the side wall (wraps as it is called in the business). The higher the wrap the stiffer the sidewall, the more loading it can take. [When we use the word "loading" we're talking about deformations in the shape of the tire under lateral acceleration (turns). A stiffer tire is not only stronger but it is more resistant to rolling onto the shoulder of the tire (where the writing is). No tire is designed to ride on the written part.]

You get them hot, push down hard on them so the sidewall is deforming somewhat (adding additional stress to the material), and then take a turn (rolling resistance pressure onto the shoulder somewhat) you might be flirting with disaster. Although a catastrophic failure of the sidewall can occur while driving along straight, not just during turns.

Now get this; One of my buddies sends me an EMail stating their team vehicle is a VW Vanagon GL, with roof rack and all the seats. They run it around venues with team members, parts, tools, and the roof rack full of tires- sometimes driving between venues following the transporter- weighing in at around 825 kg per tire (ie; max loading) on Michelin MX tires (with a per tire rating of 1,540 lbs @ 40 psi). They are over and above the rating, obviously, and have yet to have any failures of the tires- in three years of driving throughout Europe and elsewhere. [Not to say they haven't had flats, just no catastrophic failures.] BUT, the MX is not considered a passenger tire, it has reinforced sidewalls, and runs about $65.00 USD through mail order (I called around already).

I called the National distributor of one of the Oriental tire manufacturers who put me on to their truck division head. I explained what I was researching, and he offered the following info:

They recommend an all weather tire with a higher ply rating for pretty much the same reasons as stated above. They have tires that fit the requirement in both C & D ratings ("C" is a 6 ply rated at 1,600 lbs @ 50 psi, "D" is a 10 ply rated at 1,855 @ 65 psi). I said, gee, those seem like awfully high pressures... to which he responded it is all relative to the strength of the sidewall and the loading characteristics of the vehicle. We then branched into this part about 'ride comfort'; I want quiet, smooth, safe, and comfortable tires on my Westy. He says, while the harder tire may ride a little bit 'stiffer' than a passenger tire, it won't make for an 'uncomfortable' ride, overall. It will (probably) track as smoothly as a passenger tire (in the fully loaded vehicle), and may make less 'noise' even. Ultimately they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in research, developing tires designed to accomplish a specific task. Asking a tire designed to handle one task to accomplish another is not recommended. In the event something DOES happen (and your using the wrong tire), you won't have a leg to stand on coming after the supposed 'deep pockets' of the manufacturer- you were outside the envelope of performance stated for the tire. CAVEAT EMPTOR (I guess he's been to that class on legal issues?)

I called around on those tires and they are selling for $79.00 & $81.00 respectively.

As a matter of fact I called two of the biggest mail order tire businesses in the Country asking about their recommendations; getting about the same result as described above. An interesting note; one guy says, why would I recommend a $45.00 tire when I could recommend a $100.00 tire- the more I sell the more I get in commissions. If the $45.00 fits the bill, I'll tell them that. If they want to buy the MXT version of a tire that would work just fine in the MX version on a specific vehicle, I'll go ahead and take their money. It doesn't do me any good to sell them a cheap tire, but if the cheap one works, why sell them more tire than they need?? It's like shinning the bottom of your shoes. If the buyer tells me exactly what they are using the tire for I can give them a list of possible alternatives from six different, major tire manufacturers. All of them about the same price, give or take, because they study each others' pricing guides, and giving about the same performance characteristics. In the commonly requested sizes and uses, it's just that close in competition. We spend thousands of dollars on teaching our reps about tire technology and product awareness, we'd fire anyone that just quotes what is easiest to sell.

My bottom line on the thing is I'm switching from the Dunlop Axioms to their C rated tire called SP/LT5, about $75.00 each- rated for 1,600 per tire (C) at 50 lbs. They get like 60,000 miles in the mileage warranty, so it's not like I'm going to replace them that soon. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We're talking a difference of about $30.00 per tire, they are the correct rating, and I'll have no worries about failures (at least up front in my conscious mind).

And I swear you'll NEVER see me bring up this subject again!! Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread, and hopefully we've all come away with a degree of knowledge on the matter. If anybody wants to chat abou this- do it in a private EMail to me. FIN.