Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:52:45 -0500
From:         S2 <satew@MNINTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sue the fire department was: Fire ruins my day...
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>

-----Original Message----- From: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 10:00 PM Subject: Re: Sue the fire department was: Fire ruins my day...

> The fire co. did damaged to his vehicle. Water damage. End of >story.

The fire is what precipitated the damage. The normal response to a vehicle fire may vary with departments, but most will use water rather than foam or dry chem when there is significant involvement and danger of secondary damage. Lots of water delivered in a semi fog rapidly cools and removes the fuel at the same time without having to spend extra time trying to pinpoint the source and conduct a precision strike. The rapid deployment is safer for the firefighters and the surrounding structures, vehicles, people, etc. A delay could result in much worse damage than that done by the water. If you think that's bad you should see what happens to a plane that comes down with a fuel leak and collapsed gear at most airfields. That sucker gets foamed from head to toe... that sucks. But it's better than dying or blowing up.

> My story. If any nozzle nut

That term indicates a contempt that is NOT borne of familiarity.

>gets near me or anything I own, >I will consider it a personal thread, and defend myself and >my property.

That's the kind of conduct that has caused unnecessary damage and personal harm or jail time. Much of the training firefighters get is in the practical application of methods to save even the lawbreaking public expensive repairs. I'll give an example. You have your prized '36 Chrysler illegally parked in front of a water standoff near the end of an alley that is the only access to a burning building. Rather than push your baby out of the way, which would total the sheet metal, or cut out the doors with our handy dandy jaws of life, we just feed the four inch hose through the side windows, causing you no more damage than the cost of glass.

> I have lots of personal experience with this.

B.S. What fire department did you train with?

> The only place I will let them go is my garage. If It should be >engulfed in flames, I'm sure one of the fuel tanks, will eventually >blow up leveling the neighborhood, and hopefully taking them >with it. Sorry, I've seen them in action...It's not pretty.

I have seen some pretty incompetent fire units in action, but the greatest danger was usually to themselves. If you are still standing in close proximity to your home while it is engulfed in flames, and try to "defend" it from the responding team, you would in most cases be immediately arrested as there is often a police response with the fire alarm. If your missive were posted on a Friday, perhaps there could be found some tongue in cheek dark humor in it. As it is, though, it seems you have been offended and have stereotyped a generally noble group unjustifiably. I urge you to get involved with a fire safety program in your community, and get to know what goes on in a fire emergency from the professionals' end.

Respectfully, Steve "What you don't know can't hur..$#&(@^ ARGHHHHkkk!" satew@mninter.net