Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:41:46 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: gasoline and diesel
Comments: To: Javier Saenz <gordita70@HOTMAIL.COM>

Javier-

There is a BIG difference between gasoline, and diesel. I am not a petrochemical scientist, but I have seen pictures of them, and it isn't pretty.

Gasoline is a volatile fuel-in common English, that means that it doesn't take much to make it catch fire. That's why arsonists like it. Diesel is slow to light, you litterally have to hold a li match directly to it, and whisper a mystical incantation to get Diesel to catch fire.

From my (limited) understanding, gasoline isn't really a very efficient combustible, just (somewhat) plentiful, and we have a bunch of machines that already run on it, so why not keep making them, right? The Law of Inertia.

Gasoline boils at a low temperature, and evaporates quickly at regular ambient temperature, creating flammable fumes. The engines that burn gasoline typically have spark plugs and ignition systems to ignite the fuel/air mixture, after it has been compressed to a measly100-200 psi.

"Diesel" fuel is actually an oil, Fuel oil #2. It is chemically the same as home heating oil, and the oil that drives heavy machinery (Caterpillar, etc.) It is not anywhere near as volatile as gasoline, doesn't evaporate very well (if at all), any isn't as prone to "flash" fires, like gasoline. It has much higher "thermal capacity" (I think I have the term correct), meaning there are far greater btu's in a gallon of Diesel, than in a gallon of gasoline.

The combustion process in a Diesel motor is far different as well. The design of a deisel motor uses the heat of compression to ignite a fuel. The idea originated from Dr. Diesel's motor that would burn coal dust. Many "diesel" motors today burn mixed fuels, including natural gas, methane, and vegetable oil.

In most "Diesel" motors, there is no throttle plate, so a full charge of air is sucked into the cylinder with every stroke. That air is highly compressed, in the range of 800-1,000 psi; this make the air VERY hot. At just the correct instant in the stroke, a special fuel pump injects a precisely metered, fine mist of fuel into a special compartment adjacent to the combustion space. Only in the newest Diesel motors (TDI) is the fuel injected directly into the combustion chamber. The diesel fuel burns efficiently, and transfers more of its Btu's into locomotion, and less into heat than gasoline engines.

You can put (some) gas into a diesel motor, but only put diesel into the gas tank of a car you do not love. It won't run on it.

You can learn more about Diesel's and other mechanical devices in my upcoming book, "All I Need to Know About Volkswagens I Learned on the Vanagon List" Bantam Books, $22.00.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Javier Saenz [SMTP:gordita70@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 4:27 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: gasoline and diesel

<< File: ATT00001.html >> << File: ATT00002.gif >> Hola, What is the difference between gasoloine and diesel? If I put diesel into my tank will it get better miles? I have owned my vanagon since new ('81) and have never had any troubles. With $2/gallon gasoline it would be nice to use diesel intead.