Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:55:41 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another conversion (was: What is THAT thing)

Stuart MacMillan wrote:

> Ah, more fond memories. ASI is still doing conversions as far as I > know, but only on American vans. Back in the 70's Riviera Motors in > Portland, OR, was a major distributor for VW, and they contracted with > ASI to do a nice straight up pop-top camper conversion for sale through > their network of dealers. Most people used to refer to them as Riviera > conversions. They compared favorably with the Wesfalia camper, but > overall quality was somewhat lower. They didn't use the European type > nine-ply plywood for example, so the interiors didn't hold up as well > (not to mention the wonderful 70's colors they used--orange, lime green, > brown plaids), but the pop-top was very high quality. > > Plenty are still out there, and they are affordable. Just plan on > recovering everything if the PO hasn't already! > -- > Stuart MacMillan > Manager, Case Program > 800-909-8244 ext 208

That is what I have currently for sale It has american style swivel, captain chairs. No pop top, but a kinda cool fake luggage rack that is the antenna for the built in TV in the back. (missing) and has three sets of the US style dual-swivel lights. I talked to my old time friend at my local VW dealer and he remembers selling it after it sat for over 1 year in 1985. He said it was a tough sell with all those goodies and no A/C. I picked it up from the original owner who tossed the rest of the interior. (why? :( ) It had a full rear seat on a stage about 3 inches tall for what ever reason, two tables, and one or two more captain chairs.

Rob Can be seen at: http://www2.classfieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P1+C17+R47873