Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:57:28 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Audi 5000 - no vanagon
Comments: To: Bill Urban <KC-Sadie-VW@WEBTV.NET>

I have the exact same car minus the turbo... a 1987 Audi 5000S Quattro

These cars are as expensive as a Vanagon to run. Lots of electronics and lots of electronics to go wrong. The rear window buttons are a little fineky, the heated seats won't turn off and the coolant gauge is dead on mine. Simple fixes when I get the time to fix them. A company called Blaufurnugen is a good place to know if you own an Audi.

Plus side on the car - FANTASTIC traction, I must say even better than Syncro. You have 160ish hp now and with $500 worth of mods 230hp isn't impossible - this car is a serious Mustang eater when hopped up a little.

I have seen the odd 5KTQ go for $2500 to $4000 Canadian... I bought mine for $3200 CDN 1.5 years ago.

Do I regret buying mine - sort of... I wish it was a turbo!

At 12:48 17/04/1999 -0500, Bill Urban wrote: >Hello all, > >Just drove a 1987 Audi 5000 CS Quattro turbo that had 169000 miles on it >and need some advice. I drove it with the intent of using it for a >second car not as an engine doner car. > >The car ran well for awhile with plenty of power then it stared dogging >and missing and wouldn't accelerate. After awhile it would act normal >but then the problem would return. I'm thinking the ECU, fuel injection >or the turbo. Any ideas? > >The car also seemed to run rather hot. The temp guage sat at the middle >(straight up) or a little hotter whe idling at a standstill. Is this >normal? > >Are the miles too high on this vehicle? Will all the electronic doodads >go out one by one? Are parts expensive? Is there anything else I should >watch for? The dealer was asking $2150 but has already told me >(unsolicited) that he'll take $1950. How's that price? If I seriously >consider buying it I will take it to a mechanic for a check, but that >costs $50+. > >Any helpful advice appreciated. > >Later, Bill >Wichita, KS > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --