Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:04:49 -0700
From:         Steve <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW VICIOUS VISCOUS COUPLER!
Comments: To: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>

Bob...you are vague about what ambient temp might be, but your point is valid i believe. Nevertheless, temp does in my understanding play a role in VC failure. If the ambient temp of the fluid remains at an "excessive" temp for prolonged period of time, the fluid's properties change. It gets cooked. The cooked fluid engages sooner as the "ambient" temp of the fluid rises. The effect is that once you've cooked the fluid, and perhaps warped some plates in the process, the VC starts engaging much sooner than it should, at least when it is hot. Heat cooks it in the first instance, and once cooked, heat causes premature engagement. This is just an uneducated guess based on observation..or a description of symptoms. I'm no expert on the VC by any streach.