Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:18:55 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel lines replacing
Comments: To: Steve <sxs@concentric.net>

Steve wrote: "One concern I have with replacing fuel lines is that it may create a hazard where none presently exists...if it is not done right." >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm not ragging on Steve, he has a legitimate concern. Like anything in life, and on your van, if you aren't conscientious, you will reap a foul harvest from your carelessness.

This leaking fuel line thing is hard for some folks to appreciate...I know, you are thinking, "how bad can a little fuel leak be???" Allow me to paint a little word picture, for those of you who have never seen this Bosch D-Jetronic/L-Jetronic Fuel Injection "leak" thing in action. I have...twice (three times if you count the 1976 I watched catch fire and burn...).

Imagine you are working in the garden, and you fit the hose up to the spigot securely, then turn it on to water some plants. On the end of the hose, you have fitted a trigger-type nozzle, which snaps closed, shutting off flow when actively squeezed, you know the type I mean.

We have all experienced the annoying out-spray that can happen when one of the washers becomes old and compressed, either on the nozzle end, or on the hose connection. You are watering your philodendrons, you let loose of the trigger-grip on the nozzle, and within seconds, thin steams of water are shooting out a few feet from the fitting, a fine mist of water spraying everywhere.

I am not exaggerating one bit when I tell you that is EXACTLY what this fuel leak looks like. It isn't pretty.

Your fuel lines run at about 30 psi. When you turn off your motor, the residual heat of the motor bakes them. They go through hundreds of temperature shifts (freeze/thaw/bake/freeze) each year. Chemicals in the air break them down.

The nice part is, they are cheap (<$45 for line and clamps), and they are a breeze to replace. You will need a screwdriver, an X-Acto knife, and 1 hour, 30 minutes. Some may post a "special technique". I just disconnect the batteries, clamp off the main hoses at the tank (Replace those last) at work my way clockwise around the motor.

Keep your leaky garden hose, if you like, but don't let your Vanagon catch fire and go to be with Jesus and the little lambs and harps and clouds.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Steve [SMTP:sxs@concentric.net] Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 3:02 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: fuel lines replacing

One <<SNIP>>