Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:44:54 EDT
From:         Kevin Gilbert <KGGILBERT@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel lines replacing
Comments: To: ksull@mbari.org

My recent experience, with help from Karl (thewestyman@mindspring.com) 1. get the right hose; I used 7 mm fuel injection hose made for high pressure 2. get the right clamps; it took 10 trips before I found a local supplier of the solid band fuel injection clamp; it has rolled edges, and a screw-tightened band; I avoided the worm-style screw clamp, because I was trying to avoid anything which would cut into the line 3. be methodical; I tried to work on small sections at a time, making sure to unclamp, remove, attach new, and tighten new clamp one at a time; this is a bit less efficient work pace, but I did not want to get ahead of myself and forget to tighten a clamp 4. beware plastic fittings; mostly I used a razor knife to score the hose to remove it, so I did not overly twist brittle plastic fittings 5. to remove the short hoses from the fuel injectors: I was advised to use a hacksaw or Dremel tool to cut the (impossible to get to) clamp on the fuel injector; Dremel tool would probably work great; I managed with metal-cutting blade in jig saw - be careful with fingers!; it's just tedious; also, replace fuel injector seals - FLAPS kit - this is easy 6. reuse the plastic covering found on some of the hoses 7. at startup, look closely for leaks: I traumatized a short connection behind the firewall which I had not replaced, and it sent a fine squirt; this was probably getting ready to go anyway, but getting to that bugger added another 2 hours to the job; also, SEE #4 above; this little fitting is plastic, and real hard to get fingers and tools onto. I also needed to replace the fuel expansion tank beneath the passenger seat. I got lucky at a junkyard. Be methodical, take your time, and don't try to do it all at once. It is the biggest job I've done to my VW that didn't improve its perfomance, but worth it. You can do it, too. Kevin '84 Westfalia w/ 300 leak-free miles