Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:03:03 +0200
From:         "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Re: Re : How VC's work
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

Hi Syncronauts and all you normal Vanagoneers (if you're at all interested in VCs :-)

On Thu, 1999-04-22 08:02:49 -0700, Davidson wrote:

> Locks up at 100 degrees???? !!!!!!

Wolfgang probably meant degees centigrade. But it seems the theory of how viscous couplings work is either not very well understood or there are several theories which contradict each other. This is a common practice nowadays when some company is filing a patent, because it makes it more cost intensive for any competing company to disregard the patent protection (or to "reinvent" something very similar but still different enough and thus not patent protected). List member Tim Smith (are you listening, Tim? :-) claims to have two papers describing two of these contradicting theories. Ages ago he promised to scan them and to make them available to the list, but his scanner is still seeming to refuse to work.

One well known fact about viscous couplings is that they are containing a series of perforated metal disks which are not contacting each other and which are alternatingly attached to the input and output shafts. Another fact is that there is some special viscous liquid (silicone) floating around and between these disks. These two facts can easily be proven by opening an old viscous coupling (kids, don't try that at home ... you better just believe me :-). The third fact is that a viscous coupling realy works, and this can be proven by driving a Syncro in difficult terrain :-).

Now, on to the theories. On this list (as well as elsewhere) there basically are circulating three theories:

1-st theory: Differing rotational velocities on the input and output shafts causes friction in the silicone fluid and thus heat. The heat causes the silicone to expand which in turn presses the metal disks upon each other and this direct contact causes the viscous coupling to lock.

In my opinion this is clearly bogus. Pressurising any liquid which contains submerged metal plates will not force these plates into contact. This, too, is a simple fact from simple physics which can easily been proven. What's more, these disks are bare metal, no pads or such, as in a normal clutch. If the friction caused by bare metal being pressed on bare metal would be essential for the operation of a viscous coupling, they would do a poor job. Within very short a time the metal surfaces would be polished and friction would be reduced to almost zero.

2-nd theory: Differing rotational velocities on the input and output shafts causes friction in the silicone fluid and thus heat. The heat causes the silicone to become stiff thus causing the perforated disks (now the perforation starts to make sense, see?) to rotate at the same speed.

3-rd theory: Differing rotational velocities on the input and output shafts causes shearing of the viscous fluid and it's that shearing (and not the heat) which causes the silicone to become stiff and thus the disks to rotate at the same speed. Of course, before the viscous coupling locks up totally, there will be some friction, and thus some heat.

So the main question to tell these two theories apart is whether this heat is the cause for the locking of the viscous coupling or just an inevitable technical by-product. If you ask me, I simply don't know. But currently I would put my money on the third theory, because I really can't see how quite a few cubic centimeters of silicone fluid could change their temperature in such a rapid an uniform way as the operation of a viscous coupling does indeed require (we're talking about split second timing here). Perhaps I will know more when Tim will ever get his scanner ready (hint, hint :-)

Hope this clarified a few things.

Sincerely Rainer

'89 Caravelle GL Syncro 16"

---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-27811,-27031 | | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | | D-91058 Erlangen | | | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | ----------------------------------------------------------------------