Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:53:36 -0500
From:         John Gladu <jgladu@BCM.TMC.EDU>
Subject:      oil cooler question...

I developed a large oil leak on our '90 Vanagon yesterday. It appears to be coming from the oil cooler.

I bought a new gasket and proceeded to drain the oil, remove the filter and remove the nut holding on the oil cooler.

Now I'm stuck...

It doesn't appear possible to replace the gasket without removing the water lines and pulling the entire oil cooler.

Bummer. I reeeally didn't want to get into the coolant (and I can't "drain the coolant with the coolant drain plug on the head" because there is a protective plate covering it, and that plate is held on by the exhaust header bolts and I am NOT removing the exhaust system to replace the oiler cooler seal) because it's sitting head-down in the driveway and I'd have to turn it around to refill the coolant, but to turn it around I'd have to run it.

The only handy place I have to drain the coolant is at the oil cooler, and I'm afraid that, with the oil filter removed, some of the coolant may get into the oil-space that should have no water in it.

Any quick advice out there (other than "stick with air-cooled" (which is a dilemna for the type2 list, with The Bozobus engineless) or "buy a Honda")?

bcnu - Grungy (John Gladu) (Houston, TX) grungy@mindless.com

'60 dddPanel walk-thru / '90 Vanagon / '68 & '69 Bugs / '93 Eurovan