Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:21:23 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      2.0L Vanagon head help, please
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Hi all:

I'm kind of hung up getting the 2 Vanagon engines I'm rebuilding back together and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Here's the situation:

I took 2 pairs of heads to the shop for rebuilding. One pair was AMC heads I purchased probably 10 years ago and the other pair were VW heads.

When I went to install the AMC heads I remembered that there were instructions that came with the new heads stating that it was not necessary to use the standard gaskets or shims between the tops of the barrels and the heads. I also remembered that, when I asked the list why these shims were not used, someone replied that AMC built the shim right into the head, while VW did not.

Out of curiosity I decided to compare the re-done VW and AMC heads to see the difference for myself and.... the two sets of heads look exactly the same! That is, both of them have a little "step" right where the top of the cylinder meets the head, as if they had the shim molded in place.

Trying to look at the combustion chamber in cross-section it looks something like this:

Thoroughly confused, I decided to call the shop for guidance and, not to put too fine a point on it, they're not sure what they did to the heads in terms of altering the original geometery, but I was told to measure the distance between the top of the head and the top of the step and then they could tell me if I'm supposed to use the standard shim on one or both sets of the heads, or if I'm supposed to use a custom shim.

(The distance I'm talking about are the

sections in the above drawing.)

So, I'm going to have to go buy some sort of tool to measure this depth and my questions are:

1)What level of precision are we talking about here? Will a simple ruled gauge (1/64's) work here, or do I need something more precise?

2)What's this measurement supposed to be? I'd love to find out I have "stock" (i.e., non-altered) heads so I can use the shims I have and maybe get these engines closed up this weekend.

Thanks.