Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:18:46 PDT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Gas Pressure in the Refrigerator

Volks -

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to get my Dometic refrigerator to light with gas. It works OK on 12v or 110v.

Today I pulled it out (and discovered that section of the side wall of the '87 Westy has fiberglass insulation in the wall, but no vapor barrier visible).

I was able to hook it up to a bottle from a gas grill that hasn't been used for quite awhile. The grill regulator is attached to the bottle, and the line that attached to the grill screws right on to the fridge (Standardization, what an odd concept!). When I opened the valve on the gas bottle outside, a I could hear and feel a moderate stream of gas coming out of the end of the line from the regulator, so I assumed there was enough gas for testing purposes.

With the fridge on the bench, I pulled the bottom off the burner pan, and pushed the air pump in a couple of times, getting a pretty healthy spark. The thermocouple was dirty, and there was a little grit in the bottom of the pan. I could blow through the drain tube OK.

I cleaned that up, and removed the gas line from the burner pan. Then I connected the gas bottle and set the fridge controls for gas, thermostat on max. When I pushed in the safety valve button, I could smell gas and hear a bit of gas coming out of the line that I had disconnected from the burner.

I reconnected it to the burner pan, and with it loose, tried to hold in the button and make some sparks. No flame. Then I pulled the orifice out of the burner pan, connected it to the end of the burner pan gas line and tried the spit test. No bubbles came through the saliva when I held the button in.

Just for curiosities sake, I removed the orifice and put some saliva on the end of the the end of the gas line. When I pushed the button in, it blew a little bubble, but didn't pop it! That's not much preassure! I tried it a couple of times with the same result.

To test I removed the gas bottle, opened the valve, and it still shoots out a moderate stream of propane.

Could there be something in the gas system that is reducing the pressure? I was hoping it was just a clogged orifice, but now I don't know if something else is wrong.

Any suggestions?

- Mike

'87 Westy

PS. I have been doing all of this testing with a fire extinguisher handy!