Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:10:17 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bulley Rags on battery-operated vehicles: lite van content:
              was:              Diesels in America?

Dear GMB,

Well, I DO own a 1.9L TDI (Passat) and can only admire this incredible engine!!

BUT, TO CLARIFY:

- it is slightly noiser than a gas engine, particularly noticable at idle

- there is slightly more vibration

- it does get incredible fuel mileage

- it does drive wonderfully in every situation EXCEPT "burning rubber"

- there is a slight odor of "aromatics" that is actually quite pleasant

- and it does "smoke" a little, especially at cold startup or rapid acceleration

All in all, I rate this engine very highly. I agree, diesels are here to stay. I look forward to seeing how applicable it will be for my Vanagon.

Cheers,

MJS

At 11:44 AM 4/26/99 -0400, Bulley wrote:

>For those of you who can't understand why many of us are all charged up

>about the TDI, go drive one. Stand between a gas-powered Jetta, and a TDI

>Jetta, and listen to both motors. Then look at the mileage estimate (one is

>roughly twice the other, and yet has almost exactly the same performance).

>Drive a TDI, and you will see why we are all scheming to import a batch of

>5-cylinder TDI's for the Vanagon...

>Thank you for your consideration,

>G. Matthew Bulley

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan</bold>

Marshfield, MA

'87 VW Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia "Sunny" (soon to be TDI-powered)

'89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wagon "Wizard" (soon to be for sale)

'96 VW Passat TDI "Teddi"

work: http://www.openmarket.com

vanagon: http://www.hsdesign.com/vanagon

scan tips: http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning