Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:12:37 -0700
From:         Kelly Bauman <bauman@ICAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bulley Rags/Diesels in America?

I agree with Matt Bulley, the TDI is an engine for the future for the reasons he stated. However, fuel cell technology is coming along very nicely. Anyone who has followed the fuel cell company Ballard Power will know this. They are part owned by Ford and DaimlerChrysler. They have several city busses in Vancouver and Chicago powered by their fuel cells. They emit water vapour as exhaust. Very clean, very cool. They are working on a car project for the California market. At least half a dozen of the major car makers (including VW) have prototype vehicles powered by their fuel cells. See their web site at: http://www.ballard.com for the details. Very cool stuff.

Kelly Bauman Delta, BC '91 Westy (If I ever do an engine swap it will be a TDI)

At 11:44 26/04/99 -0400, Bulley wrote: >David wrote: > >"Diesels have the reputation of being dirty and noisy and they will never >get rid of that reputation. Electric or fuel cell vehicles will arrive >before diesel is accepted." > >Never is a long time...I think you're wrong, David. > >I won't comment on fuel cell vehicles, because I don't know enough about >them to have a solid opinion. The TDI and electric are a different story... > >The TDI, with its remarkable efficiency, clean burn, and quiet nature is >already beginning to supplant the gasoline engine in some applications. For >example, I just saw a HUGE motor-home a visitor from Holland brought over >to tour the U.S. Right on the motorbox, "2.5 l TDI"...the owner said, in >broken English, yah, this is the only motor available for this van...we >like it a lot...It is only a matter of time. > >Americans love the "tactile" nature of a combustion engine. Anyone who has >driven a new Beetle TDI, Jetta TDI, or Passat TDI, will tell you it not >only sounds and feels almost exactly like a gasoline powered engine (better >in my opinion...more 'purposeful' and 'solid' than a gas car), but also, >the TDI acceleration curve and torque are far nicer to the seat of the >pants than any comparably-sized gas motor. The 50 mpg doesn't suck either. > >TDI's don't belch soot, or make noise. Clean and smooth. Inexpensive fuel. >Low maintenance. The locomotion power plant for the next 20-30 years. Drive >one and see. >