Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:09:32 -0700
From:         jimkim <jimkim@INTERGATE.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Shifting problem with 88 Westy (standard)
Comments: To: Paul_Dierze/CAM/Lotus@LOTUS.COM

Paul, when my westy started getting tight I removed the front shift linkage rod and discovered the bushings on the two front forks(the end that fits into the junction box) were broken off leaving only the bear metal which is square with sharp edges. Couldn't find replacement bushings but found a good used rod for $15can. Installed new rod and adjusted it and it's been great ever since. I'm not sure if this is what is wrong with yours but it's something to look for . I found the best way to adjust the shift linkage, which is all you may need , is to have a friend under the van and you at the helm. put the tranny in neutral and have your partner loosen the clamp holding the front shift rod, now position the shifter to center and have him tighten the clamp. Shift through all gears including reverse and see if they operate smoothly. If it is sticky getting it into first, loosen the clamp and position the shifter slightly to your right, tighten and try all gears again . Repeat till it's just the way you like it. If third and fourth start to get tough you've gone to far, back off a bit to your left. Also a good idea to mark how far into the clamp the shift rod went before you start messing around, just in case you move it so you don't have to make that adjustment if you don't have to .Jim ----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Dierze To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: April 26, 1999 11:46 AM Subject: Shifting problem with 88 Westy (standard)

I've been away from the list for quite awhile. Good to be back.

My standard transmission 88 Westy has developed a nagging problem. Shifting from Neutral to first has become next to impossible. I always have to go to second and then up to first. Even at a standstill.

I've greased the junction box near the spare tire which seemed to help a little but not enough for my wife to say the problem has stopped. Shifting to other gears is not impeded in either direction (except for getting into first).

Any thoughts...

Thanks.

Paul Dierze 88 Westfalia Massachusetts

[text/html]