Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:14:27 -0400
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report (long)

Left Ontario April 8th... ....got down just past Cincinnati, into Ky. on I75... pulled over in a rest stop for a wink...woke up to a thunder clap that sounded like I had just been boarded by pirates...next, Heavy hail playing a cute little staccato number on my plastic sky light (thanks Trevor for that double thickness plexi) ... turned on the radio.. National weather service advises all persons in Owen Co. Ky. to run for the basement... look at my map... hummm I'm in Owen Co. Ky....Time to get moving!!, a little natural adrenaline and out of there...Heavy Heavy rain, not the kind of conditions I like driving in, very hard to see anything, but it's escape this zone or visit Toto & Auntie M .... later somewhere near Lexington, bunched up & surrounded in a moving wall of trucks and spray, something came out from under a wheel ahead and I ran over it on the passenger side, think it was maybe a 2x6, in the next few miles lots of other cars had pulled over and were out with flashlights checking their tires, I did the same... Nothing... lets hear it for that extra Syncro clearance & those reinforced Coni's, By morning I was nearing one of my favorite runs....hwy 129 out of Knoxville Tenn. then 321 into The Great Smokie Mountains, Cades cove, then Parson Branch rd. .... then the best sports car / motorcycle rd. on the east coast.... 20 miles of which are maintain by the Miata Sports Car Club of America..... I had this black Durango on my tail.... at first he thought he was going to pass me....then he learned to enjoy the ride... kinda fools some folks... my Syncro...later that evening I found an All You Can Eat Catfish & Ribs, family style place (TangleWood), Hey it's my vacation... I deserve some real food once in a blue moon (& I got lots on this trip) ..... Next Roll into Atlanta (Avondale Estates for those in the know) and spend the next 48 hrs enjoying some fine Southern Hospitality.... The front page of the Atlanta Journal shows a bunch of houses tosted all over the place.... head line.... Tornado hits Cincinnati (sound familiar?).......Atlanta was just busting at the seams with flowers... Azaleas, Dogwoods, Wisteria, Triple Dogwoods (this is were someone grafts a white, pink & red dogwood onto one tree)... Had a super party with some friends I haven't seen in over 30 years... them in their Suburban's, Tahoe's, Rovers & Benz stationwagons.... they thought my camper was neat.... (dream on... you'll never know until you travel in one).... next leg... down to Lakeland Linder Airport Fla.... as I was driving down I75 near Macon Ga., the wind was blowing the pine tree pollen around so much that it was a yellow haze reducing visibility.... allergies anyone?....By late Sun. night I was at the Fly-in... next morning... in the day use parking lot, I counted 6 Vanagons, 4 Westy, 2 GL's.. one was a dark blue Westy from B.C, ... was a hot day.. I came to see all the new GPS stuff and old 120,140, J3's, 7 & 9 cyl. Radials..... I digress..did meet an interesting fine old Huey Vet, we had a taco salad & some tales together..... next leg... up the east coast and 4 days camping and surf fishing in my favorite park.... Boy that granny gear is just the tool for that soft sand on the beach.... ate every day at O'Steens... The only way you can get fresher shrimp & crab is with a net...Next leg... old hwy 80 from Savannah to Macon.... paid homage to my elders burial grounds & ate some BBQ.... nothing like a little south in your mouth....on last leg... up over the Smokies again... now this was really COOL... every year they have this monster Custom car show in Pigeon Forge Tenn.... so I'm driving up the south side of the Smokies and all these custom rods are driving home, down from the show...... imagine the best custom car show you've seen in years, from the comfort of your own captains chair, set against the moving backdrop of the Smokies........loose total VW's.... 20 to 25 Campers... most in Fla.... 6,000 km and only 3/4 a liter of 15-50w SemiSynth... guess what?.... 15-50w SemiSynth is now THE choice of the aircraft owner.... I did see 2 Rilaita's I think in Fla... But there is one thing I know for sure.... My Syncro could easily pull them out of the sand (:^).... all in all not one real problem.... why?... because I read some of the good stuff on the list and I DID IT...... Moral?... get out there and enjoy yourself.... there is NOTHING like a trip in a VW Camper..... Did I see anything that worried me? Yes....there are a lot of cars on the road with at least one quarter panel smashed in and not repaired..... this, to me means... there are a lot of people driving cars with no insurance..... Be VERY careful out there my friends things are not all they appear to be. Drive as if NO one else is paying any attention to what they are doing.. (cause most of them aren't)

Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure 86k km Moonstone Ont. Rountree_RD@hotmail.com