Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:11:52 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon crash story - vanagon 1 toyota 0

Last night at 3:00 a.m. I was awakened by a large crashing noise outside. When I looked out the window, my mint 89 westy was halfway on the road and my yard and a car was underneath the front of my van. It seems like some kids had tried breaking into a car somewhere in the neighborhood. They were discovered in the act, and the car's owner decided to give chase when they took off. Their high speed chase ended when the punks crashed their car into my parked van. They took off into the woods and are still at large as far as I know. The guy who gave chase stayed and explained the story. I just had to ask him what was he planning on doing when he cornered the three kids. He was pumped up and sorry about the whole thing and at least he stuck around instead of leaving the scene also.

The good part is the van seems to have held up well in this unplanned crash test. It was struck on the front towards the drivers side. It was lifted over a curb and back 20 ft. There is only one main dent where the initial blow occurred and a few bends along the front. The bumper and driver's lights are toast. No visible damage inside. The front door is very hard to open now. It didn't look too bad, but the crash officer estimated around $1400 to $1800 damage. The other car's (Toyota Camary) front end was messed up pretty bad. The hood was bent in half, the engine pushed back and up, the radiator was flat as a pancake. You could see the indentation in the back of a front seat where someone's knees rammed into it.

The good news is that it appears that a vanagon holds up pretty well in a front collision. It was amazing to see the difference in damage to both cars. Another good thing is knowing that at least one of the punks was wondering "oh shit" as he was running away from his crashed car. The cops came and took it. They will hopefully get him soon too. I hope they had fun running in the woods last night. From the contents of the car, they appeared to be college age kids. It was an out of state car. I only hope that that kid really needed those textbooks for those final exams that are happening in the next week or so. He can claim them at the police office.

Steve

89 Westy