Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:09:47 -0400
From:         Gary Thaxter <gthaxter@DGTDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro rear hub removal, spindle nut size

> didn't tighten my nut that hard, I'm sure. I just gave it all I got, and > installed the cotter pin. A friend of mine thought it was more than >sufficient, > he is used to torqueing 100mm nuts to 7000Nm at the factory he works at. I > haven't had any problems with this nut after I tightened it.

The problem isnt with the nut, it is with the splined hub and stub axle. The high torque specs are for a reason. I learned after having the splines wear out on two previous vans. The last van I bought must have been serviced by someone that figured they "tighened it sufficiently". One side was ruined, the other side survived by some providence. Worn out ones sound like a bad bearing hum, and when it gets bad enough, play starts to develop and you can "rock" the wheel and feel the play.

I tighten the nut myself as best as possible then bring the van to a tractor-trailer garage and get them to torque it proper (their torque wrench is about 4 ft. long). I invested in a 46mm socket and a 3/4 inch drive power bar, my new favourite tool.

Vanagons are not like any other vehicle. Most torque specs are there for a reason. They are part of the engineering that makes the van great, not the "close enough" tolerances that we see in the "designed" vehicles we see here in N.America. 999 out of 1000 mechanics here don't see why the torque is necessary on the rear axel nut, and have likely tighented the nuts as best as they see fit on a lot of VW vans out there. Sorry, but I am still mad that I had so many axels ruined by stupid people in the past and I don't want anybody else to have the same done to them.

Gary Thaxter

I think I was born on the wrong continent.