Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:19:15 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      German parts Was: Rear Bumpers

The Bus Depot wrote:

> Geez, I > have genuine German ones for 1/4 that price!

One thing that puzzles me: why are you american so crazy about German parts? I have followed the US and European VW scene for several years through VWtrends and the internet, and many places you can get Brazilian parts for half prize of German. Ok, the overall quality of most German parts are better, but remember that many of these parts are made by independent companies, in many cases not even an OE manufacturer for VW. One example I know of, from the short period I worked at an auto dismantler, we sold new bodyparts for most German and Japanese car, from various non-OEM manufacturers. The body parts for Japanese cars were generally crappy, made in Taiwan or China. German parts were better, but still.... The best example we had, was one guy that came up to us, buying a new front bumper for a Golf3 after backing into another persons car. He decided to take the cost himself, to keep his insurance bonus at level. He sent the bumper to get painted, got it back, and proceeded to mount it, and it was too narrow to fit. By a whole 2 inches! A German bumper! of course, we gave him his money back, but we didn't get our money back from the Norwegian representative, because it was painted. To this day, this bumper hangs on the wall as a symbol of "pirate" parts, even though the store sells them to this day. The Morale of the story would be that just because the parts are German, doesn't automatically guarantee OEM quality.

Of course, I have no means to say that Bus Depots parts are not good (they may very well be, I have not had the luck to try them yet), just be aware of a false sign of quality that is seen all over the car industry.

PerL 88 Syncro