Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:20:00 -0500
From:         S2 <satew@MNINTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro rear hub removal, spindle nut size
Comments: To: David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>

In my 1984 Haynes on page 151 it says "Wheel hub to wheel shaft (castellated nut) ...... 350nm 258 lbf ft". In my 1985 Bentley on page 46.6 and 46.9 it says 350nm (253 ft lb), but on page 42.4 it shows both a new and an old axle nut. The new one is said to be torqued to 500nm (360 ft lb), and there is a note which I quote:

During repairs on vehicles prior to VIN 25ZBH119362, install new sleeves and axle nuts and torque nuts to 500 Nm ( 360 ft lb ).

It looks like the recommendation is to buy the new nut and sleeves and use the higher torque setting. So, if one is using the old nut and does not replace the sleeves, should the lower torque be applied? It looks like the new nut may be of sterner stuff than the old.

Respectfully, Steve "What you don't know can't hur..$#&(@^ ARGHHHHkkk!" satew@mninter.net

-----Original Message----- From: David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 3:18 PM Subject: Re: Syncro rear hub removal, spindle nut size