Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:22:12 -0400
From:         Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@CISCO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Rear Bumper Needed
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

I can testify that having a strong bumper *IS* a good idea. When I was rear-ended last fall, the (Dennis Haynes) class 3 hitch took the brunt and I had NO damage to the engine compartment. The frame and bumper mount points (where the hitch is now attached) came through without damage. The hitch was a throwaway as was the tin foil bumper.

I have no doubt that the engine-compartment, engine and possibly the rear hatch would have been damaged if I had nothing but the stock bumper.

- Frank

> This may not be such a good Idea. Having a real strong >bumper on any car means, in a real crash something has to give. >That means the mouning part of the body, or frame, gives first. >I would rather replace my bumper 5 times, rather than have the >frame straightened 5 times. > If anyone remembers the old model "A" fords. You could crash >right into a pole at say 15 MPH's and the front bumper was like >a spring, in that it would bounce you right off the pole, with no >damage. This is what we need. I think VW made the bumpers soft >to take the damage, in order to protect the rest of the vehicle. >After the last prerson that hit my van....to works. The problem >is the cost of the bumper is not as inexpensive as we would like. >After careful consideration, my Vanagon is staying stock. > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler > > >On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Bulley wrote: > >> Vanagon friends, >> >> That brings to mind an idea I've been batting around for some time. >> >> I was chatting with an engineer at a local metal fabrication shop here in >> Raleigh and mentioned the pitiful state that most Vanagon bumpers are in. >> After a bit of discussion, head scratching, chin rubbing, etc. we both >> came up with the idea of a metal bumper that looks exactly like the Vanagon >> bumper, but is made of metal roughly twice as thick. Chrome plated, of >> course. >> >> He was purely guessing, but we came up with their cost of around a hundred >> dollars per piece, if they were to make and plate a 'large batch' of them, >> like a hundred or more. >> >> As you although, I have no interest in being in the Volkswagen parts >> business. I am curious however, how many folks would be interested in >> purchasing new front or rear bumpers made out of much thicker metal for >> around a hundred and fifty dollars apiece plus shipping. >> >> P-mail this address, and let me know what you think: >> vanagonbumperidea@bulley-hewlett.com >> >> Better still, if one of the vendors would be interested in all of the >> details of the Company, and would like to pursue this as their own venture, >> give me a call. Have at it. >> >> G. Matthew Bulley >> Bulley-Hewlett & Associates >> www.bulley-hewlett.com >> Cary, NC USA >> 888.468.4880 tollfree >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Gary Basey [SMTP:gbasey@LINK2000.NET] >> Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 3:43 AM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Vanagon Rear Bumper Needed >> >> << File: ATT00001.html >> I've had one of those days. Someone backed into >> my '80 vanagon in a parking lot and drove off. No idea who it was. It >> bothers me that some people can't take responsibility for their actions. >> Anyway, now I am in need of a rear bumper. >> >> Does anyone have one for sale? >> >> The local yards just laughed when I called them. >> >> Also, I need a rear hinge for the sliding door. The one in the center rear >> that allows the door to "kick out" to prevent it from rubbing on the van. >> Mine broke (not related to hit and run) and allows the door to rub along >> the side of the van when I open it. It's scratching up the paint and >> ruining the interior panel of the door. >> >> E-mail me if you can help. >> >> Thanks >> >> Gary >> gbasey@link2000.net >> >> '80 westy (with a rearranged bumper) >> >

\\\\////\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\ Frank Terhaar-Yonkers Cisco Systems, Inc. TISU/NSITE 7025 Kit Creek Road PO Box 14987 Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 fty@cisco.com voice(919)472-2101 fx(919)472-5600