Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:58:52 -0400
From:         "Jon Higgins (by way of Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>)"
              <jhiggins@TELEBYTE.COM>
Subject:      Euro-Elec: 87 Volkswagen vanagon, temperture gauge

iATN Help: send blank email to: help@i-atn.com Upgrade: http://members.iatn.net/enhanced.html Archives: http://members.iatn.net/sponsorsindex.html Post Message: http://members.iatn.net/email/ _______________________________________________________

1987 Volkswagen vanagon 2.1 L

Trans: Standard Mileage: 122,000 miles VIN: WV2ZBO25OHH013498

Affected Item: temperture gauge Condition: reads high

Hi everybody.

This van originally came to us with the complaint that at an extended idle the temperture gauge would go up to the hot line. The heads had been replaced by the dealer about a year ago, but since the owner does not drive the van much he could not say if the problem had started after the head work. We found the radiator fan was not coming on. After replacing the fan switch and bleeding the system as per Alldata procedures, the fan cycled normally and the engine runs between 200'F and 207'F, [as measured with an infrared tester at the left head]. After several test drives we noticed the temp. gauge was eratic, so we replced the temp. sender and the reservoir pressure cap. All seemed to be working great. Now two months and 400 miles later the van is back. After idling for 30 minutes the gauge was at 2/3 scale. When the head lights are switched on the red light on the temp. gauges immediatly began to flash and the gauge went up to the hot line within a minute. When the lights were turned off the gauge went back down. The second time the headlights were turned on the gauge and light remained normal. We were able to get the problem to repeat several times. I cleaned and tighted the grounds at the, battery negitive cable to body, transmission to body, and body to left head. This made no improvment. I can't help but think it is a ground problem but these are the only grounds I have found without tearing things apart. Iam hoping some of you can point me in the direction of more key chassis grounds, [especially the headlight ground, or give me some thoughts on what this could be besides a ground problem. Thanks.

Sorry for the long post.

Jon Higgins jhiggins@telebyte.com Technician Hansville Repair Hansville, Washington, USA

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

New heads one year ago. New fan switch, reservoir pressure cap, and temperture sender.

_______________________________________________________ iATN Industry Sponsors: http://www.iatn.net/atn/ iATN WebSite: http://members.iatn.net/index.asp Guidelines: http://www.iatn.net/guide.html To configure or cancel your iATN account see: http://members.iatn.net/config/index.asp