Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:11:15 -0700
From:         "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problems with the u-joints of the driveshaft

When my driveshaft started to rumble, there were three choices: 1.used 120K driveshaft at the local VW junkyard for $100--figured it would die soon also 2.new one for about $800 3.John Dobson at Roseville's German Auto (he works mostly on Mercedes from all over NorCal) strongly recommended, then sent it to a shop that cut off the old u-joints and welded new, greasable ones on. So far it's worked for another 100K miles. $400. He does this on Mercedes so he felt comfortable with it. I was too dumb to know to be worried. Sure is fun greasing those joints. Cheers, Tom Neal '87 syncro