Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:47:40 -0500
From:         Joel Shortlidge <shortlid@EXPERT.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
Subject:      QUICK Problems

I have a dilemma, I only have a week and a half to do all my finals and get my Syncro ready for the trip back to New York from Indiana!!!! These are the mechanical problems with the van. Which should I not leave without doing and which can weight till I get home?

1. Distribution unit has VERY small leak and I HAVE THE NEW DISTRIBUTION UNIT BUT WORRIED ABOUT TIME CONSUMED BY REFILLING, PURGING, REPLACING HOSING WHILE I AM AT IT. Also scared of getting air in system and having problems on the Highway with over heating!!!!

2. Rack leaks pretty bad out of boots but sounds and works OK. I will need another front alignment if I do this job when I get home. Should I a. get rebuilt one for vendor $450 un installed, used one guaranteed not to leak for $300 installed, rebuild kit $89.90 and attempt this job with limited time?????

3. Already have new CORRECT tires but need alignment to keep them new over trip back. (no one around here will do the rear alignment on my syncro! :( Said some thing about kit, and not working on rack???

4. Tune Up ( hesitation in first couple of feet of start off or change of gear then picks up quickly after words????)

Ps. I believe PO or mechanic WELDED on drain plug for trany!!!!! I had to suck it out!!!! I had the Snap-On adapter and Breaker bar and did not even move it!!!!!! I even removed the skid plate, and I am keeping it off for highway cooling.

PSS. My VW mechanic FROM GERMANY says it will make it to NY :)

Thanks Everyone for all your great help and advice it has already saved me and my van numerous times!!!

Joel '87 Syncro Weekender (143,000 miles / 40,000 on rebuilt engine)

David Marshall wrote: > > I'm interested in a set too. In case you are not aware you have to do some > cutting to make them fit! > > At 14:38 29/04/1999 -0400, Markus Benne wrote: > >Hi, > > > >The Syncro 16 has fender flairs that I happend to like. Does > >anyone know where to get these? No, I don't have a 16.... > > > >Thanks, > >...Markus > > > > > > -- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- > -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- > -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- > -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- > -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- > -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --