Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:32:11 -0700
From:         kW <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Towing Vanagon/460 engine conversion/Mark Stephens/Burningman
Comments: To: s_walker@MINDSPRING.COM

Greetings Vanagonauts,

I towed my westy 250 miles from the Utah desert several years ago using a car dolly for the two rear wheels. It worked flawlessly even at highway speeds and over 20 miles of dirt road. You do have to lock the steering wheel and tie it off.

It was a lot of fun pulling the van backwards up onto the dolly using rope and the ole 76 Lincoln Continental. The Lincoln pulled it home at 55 mph even up Soldier Summit west of Price, Utah. Maybe I can put that 460 CI engine into the Van next time it drops a valve. (Would that count as a conversion, would I have to raise the bed height?) Fryday humor, : )

Of course now I have the infamous Mark Stephens engine with the 100,000 mile valve seat warranty. It has been great ever since.

My burningman project is still being discussed but I want to build a cart powered by old bicycles that carries about 4 people around. Trying to design it to be 2 person powered.

We also discussed having a float which would be a rolling bar, maybe even a co-ed rolling strip bar, that would fit in best. My tickets have arrived so I am going. Is there another bus camp being planned? Last year I was camped at 15th street and outer circle which was nice to escape to once the apocalypse started.. Any burningman ideas welcomed.

Happy Fryday, Ken Wyatt 82 westy SLC, UT