Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:58:25 -0700
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Björn Ratjen <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Bras 'n things (Friday)

Bras, jock straps, vanagon content, many contributions are missing the point (figuratively speaking). Let me enlighten you.

Bras have been discussed for a long time on this list. You don't believe it? Go and check the archives for bras. Yes, some of you might say, these are the bras for Vanagons. So? I ask. Putting a bra in front of a vanagon creates Vanagon content, doesn't it? Why couldn't Ron (the Coyote) do the same? Did anyone naively think he would use the bras for himself? Sheesh. Did anyone insult him by thinking he was a pimp by getting them with their original content? Just wrap 'em around your car and they will have vanagon content just like Bob's (the animal friend's) jock straps. Don't we all occasionally use parts for our Vanagons that are not originally intented for that particular use? Now here is an issue that may warrant further discussion: The original vanagon bras are only black. The bras Ron is after will come in different colours, mostly light ones I would assume - possibly with a black minority. Maybe the potentially racicst associations warrant new and extensive examination by qualified people on this list!

Huh! I say to most of you, you do not know what gender issues are in a Vanagon. There is deep life philosophy in your vehicle. Let us look for a moment at your vanagon with the eyes of their creators - linguistically speaking. Did you know that your car is predominantly male: der Volkswagen? Did you know that it has some very female exposed parts: "die Stosstange" (bumper)? This may be troubling for those who think about bras or jock straps. There is more: Enlightenment in a Volkswagen comes from the female side: die Glühbirne (lightbulb) in male environment: "der Scheinwerfer" (headlight [literal translation: light thrower])? The power is clearly male: "der Motor" (engine), whereas slowing down is female: "die Bremse" (brakes). There are some confusing details which may blur the gender issue: "die Benzinpumpe" or "die Enspritzpumpe" (female: fuel pump or injection pump), whereas the male parts are left with the aftermath: "der Auspuff" (exhaust). The female gender makes all the relevant choices: "die Lenkung" (steering), "die Schaltung" (gearshift) and the male is left to provide the support system: "der Sitz" (seat), "der Sicherheitsgurt" (seat belt). Interesting to note is the male-female cooperation the suspension components: "die Federung" (female: suspension) and "der Stossdämpfer" (male: shock absorber). Well, well ultimately it all happens where the (male) rubber: "der Gummi" hits the (female) road: "die Strasse".

Such is life on a Friday. To top it off bra: "der Büstenhalter" is male, irregardless of content. Got me thinking ... ;)

Björn

P.S. No point in discussing quality without at least reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D. Mill Bay, B.C. phone/fax (250) 743-7575