Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:59:57 -0700
From:         "Pollard, Matthew" <Matthew.Pollard@OREADCA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Archive searches
Comments: To: Dean Forshee <steeling@CREATIVE.NET>

Matthew's weekly HOW TO SEARCH ARCHIVES via EMAIL.

This is THE easiest way to search the archive; I've never had it stall or not work :-) and is pretty fast too.

email to: listserv@gerry.vanagon.com subject: <anything will work> body: search WHATEVER in vanagon

<end of letter> Gerry will send you a letter back that will have a few line summary of the first 100 matches. You can then choose which letters to ask for, etc. Gerry will include full directions from there on.

Below are the correspondences of an actual search:

Gerry's reply #1: > search bleeding cooling system in vanagon -> 65 matches.

Item # Date Time Recs Subject ------ ---- ---- ---- ------- 006577 94/12/05 10:21 31 Low Coolant in fill tank...:( 007582 95/01/14 11:57 25 Engine Surges 007604 95/01/14 21:32 32 RE:Engine Surges 007605 95/01/14 18:45 15 Bleeding cooling system 007606 95/01/14 22:06 19 Re: Bleeding cooling system 007621 95/01/15 12:02 41 Re: Bleeding cooling system <<<<SNIP>>> To order a copy of these postings, send the following command:

GETPOST vanagon 6577 7582 7604-7606

<<<snip>>>

>>> Item #6577 (5 Dec 1994 10:21) - Low Coolant in fill tank...:( the excess tank back up and hoped that I didn't get too much air into the system. I think the loss of coolant is linked ^^^^^^ to the cold weather and hence the use of the aux heater. And you know what that lead's to. The dreaded leaking aux. heater. I'll be checking that out tonight as well has bleeding the ^^^^^^^^ cooling system to get rid of any air bubble nasties. ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Any suggestions as to the bleeding procedure other than to ^^^^^^^^ jack the front end up? Do I just open the bleeder valve in front, or is there other things I need to do to bleed this system properly? ^^^^^^

GERRY"S #2 REPLY:

> GETPOST vanagon 25643 43497 File "VANAGON POSTINGS" has been mailed to you under separate cover.

Summary of resource utilization ------------------------------- CPU time: 1.328 sec Overhead CPU: 1.047 sec CPU model: 2x90MHz Pentium (64M)

With all this discussion about coolant changing and jacking the car up at both ends I decided to check my coolant level this morning along with the oil check. Lo and behold there was no coolant in the excess fill tank (not expansion tank) I didn't have time to check the expansion tank and just filled the excess tank back up and hoped that I didn't get too much air into the system. I think the loss of coolant is linked to the cold weather and hence the use of the aux heater. And you know what that lead's to. The dreaded leaking aux. heater. I'll be checking that out tonight as well has bleeding the cooling system to get rid of any air bubble nasties.

Any suggestions as to the bleeding procedure other than to jack the front end up? Do I just open the bleeder valve in front, or is there other things I need to do to bleed this system properly?

Oh. I'm talking about a '91 GL Camper here.

Steven ---------------------- Steven Johnson sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com '91 VW Camper GL, '86 Nissan Sentra Previously owned: '68 bug, '70 squareback, '74 Camper