Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:19:49 -0700
From:         Steve Frisbee <frisbee@ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator Fans

I second the idea of putting a battery-operated "Fridge-it" fan inside the Dometic before going to the trouble of installing a second coil fan.

It seems that air circulation improvement inside should provide much more benefit than a second fan outside. The absence of air movement inside creates a stagnant cold zone around the inner fins that impedes efficient transfer. Another benefit of the internal fan would be faster re-equilibration of the internal temperature after the door has been opened.

An additional outside coil fan will serve to shorten the on/off cycle time, bringing the cabinet air to "shut-off" temperature faster (if tied to the same thermocouple). It will not bring the temperature down any lower than the existing fan unless you change the thermocouple that controls it. This would seem to be a minor improvement in efficiency, especially if the coil fan is cycling only occasionally, (as is typical). I would agree, however, that if you camp where high ambient temperatures cause long fan cycles, a second coil fan is warranted.

Camping World sells an internal Fridge-It fan- uses 2 'D' batteries that last a month. Turn it on when you load up the food, turn it off when the trip is done.

Steve Frisbee 85 Westy 92 Subaru 66 Bug

---Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET> wrote: > > Mike, > I considered adding a fan inside my fridge... like Derek Drew mentioned in > his article Refrigerator Madness. But I didn't have the time (or the wiring > knowledge at the time). So I bought one of the battery operated Fridge Mate > fans that are sold at RV stores for use inside the fridge. Getting air > movement over the inside cooling fins and around the food is EXTREMELY > important to getting the most out of the fridge. It really helps a lot. At > first I didn't like the fact that the battery operated fan took up what I > thought was useable food storage space inside the fridge. But after using it > for two seasons my current thoughts are that it is not taking up useable > space at all. Really, in order to get air circulation (the purpose of the > fan) you need to leave space for the air to circulate; if you pack the food > too tightly there is no room for the air to circulate around the food so the > food doesn't get or stay cold (even if you have a fan inside). Well, it > turns out that by locating the battery operated fan strategically in the > center of the center shelf it not only circulates the air up an over the > cold fins, it also by its location keeps the center of the fridge open for > air circulation back down and around the food. In other words, the fan > serves as a physical reminder to keep that air space open for circulation, > thus thwarting the natural temptation to pack more food in there. Also there > is no wiring job and no possibility of it running your battery down. Anyway, > that's my 2 cents. > Bill > 90 Westy Syncro > -----Original Message----- > From: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Date: Wednesday, April 28, 1999 9:43 PM > Subject: Re: Refrigerator Fans >