Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 1999 10:09:17 -0600
From:         Ken Wyatt <nrogm.kwyatt@STATE.UT.US>
Subject:      new emissions methods in UT/I passed, YEA!!

Hi Vanagonauts,

I am happy to announce that the 82 Westy passed emission and safety in Utah on the first try. Utah just implemented a new emissions test which requires the test to run the vehicle on a dynamometer. It simulates a level drive at about 35 MPH. The second phase simulates a steep hill at about 15mph. Both tests run the engine about 2000 rpm.

There no longer is the idle test which is what used to cause my failures. The mechanic said he thought this was the best thing that could have happened to the air cooled Volkswagens. He said that in his whole career as a mechanic he probably passed four a.c. VWs the first time through. Now with the new methods they pass more readily. That is great news for the air cooled folks. The test is supposed to simulate driving conditions better. I thought driving conditions in SLC were supposed to be idle at 0 mph with all the traffic and construction.

Just wanted to let the list know about the new methods in Utah. (actually only the metropolitan areas require this.) Any other states doing this??

Yahoo, I'm headin to the desert with new registration. Our mountains got about 4 feet of snow the last week. Now it's gonna be spring in the desert.

Have a good weekend, Why do I think it's Friday. Ken Wyatt 82 westy SLC, UT

PS: My fuel leaks are fixed. I tightened my fuel line clamps and all seems to be well with my leakage. I am guessing that they just needed a re-tightening after the long winter.