Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 1999 18:33:13 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      The Saga Continues...Serious problems with CV reinstall
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@uronramp.net>

Hi Joel and fellow Vanagoneers:

I have found out that I am able to now easily get the CV Outer Race on, when I position it with the circumferential slot in the Outer Race oriented INWARDS towards the shaft.

Therefore, you (Joel) were right! and I thank you very much for helping me with that!

Of course, I have to eat some crow now, and it's bitter, bitter crow, too. Boy, can I be stupid sometimes - I must watch EVERYTHING a mechanic does!!

However, I'm not as stupid as the "professional" mechanic who pressed off the Inner Race (stuck on extremely tight), and placed my new boot in WITHOUT removing the old torn boot first, and then re-pressed on the inner race BACKWARDS!!

I didn't notice it until yesterday, becuase the old boot was nested in with the new boot. I didn't even look hard, I mean, who would even thought to check that? I'm a total newbie, and even I know better!

Anyhow, yesterday, I had to take a frustrating 45 Min bus ride, lugging the half axle, down to Canadian Tire, where I asked them to CUT off the old boot flange. They said OK, no charge, come back in 1/2 hour. Great (I thought)!

Guess what they did? They removed the inner race from the OTHER CV, pulled out the old boot, and that pressed that Inner Race on BACKWARDS too! So, now I have two backwards CV joints! F#$%!

I just found that out when I went to check out your (Joel Walker's)suggestion regarding reversing the Outer Race, to see if I could get it on that way..(as it wouldn't go on, even with prayers for assistance from my ancestors - of course, they were all accountants, what do they know....)

Now, I am assuming that there is no right or wrong way of orienting the ball cage, or do I have to worry if that is screwed up too? (I know about the correct way to line up thick and thin slots in the outer and inner races, I don't mean that)

To clarify my current situation, both of my CV joints have the slot in the outer race oriented towards the center of the axle.

Can I go with that, or do they need to be flipped around? Or something else?

Any ideas?

Marshall Ruskin -----Original Message----- From: Joel Walker <jwalker@uronramp.net> To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@pangea.ca> Date: Saturday, May 01, 1999 6:52 PM Subject: Re: Serious problems with CV reinstall -HELP!