Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 1999 22:28:07 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Bentley really sucks
Comments: To: Zezoff <shilohz@JPS.NET>

I have to somewhat disagree with your statement on the Bentley manual. I think the Bentley manual for the Vanagon is not designed for the novice mechanic. There is a lot of detail in this book, far more than Chilton and the like. I find the Vanagon doesn't hold you by the hand as much as for example the 80 thru 84 Rabbit / Cabrio / Scirocco manual does - this is an excellent manual for the novice mechanic. The Audi manuals are the same, lots of detail but not lots of how to do. Some people call them Bentley Bibles, I call them a reference book!

To answer your question on the CVs. You need a special "triple square" 8mm hex socket. Mine cost me about $8 CAD and it is made by KD Tools, Snap-on also makes one for a LOT more cash. Before you begin the job, go to the dealer and get some spare CV bolts. Sometimes they are in there pretty good and you have to get the trusty drill revved up. Another point - don't replace these bolts with allen head bolts. The VW CV bolts are extremely tough and are almost impossible to strip - unlike the allen bolts. Another helpful hint - take some brake cleaner or some other degreser and clean the bolt heads off for a more positive grab with the 8mm key!

At 21:47 02/05/1999 -0700, Zezoff wrote: >I have Mercedes manuals and they are incredible. I suggest you all buy a >used Mercedes instead of VWs. I own both, so I speak from experience. > >I love my Vanagon. As you all know why the Vanagon is a great package. > >The right rear outer CV joint boot is spitting grease. I want to change it >before it is damaged. How do I remove the axle with the two cv joints? >What socket is used, 8 mm allen??? > >The Westy is a 82 diesel. The Bentley manual gives me no clue at all. > >Bobby >Folsom CA > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --