Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 May 1999 23:53:06 -0700
From:         Debi <mtngal@SIERRATEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Filling cooling ( PART 2) and other little tid bits..<grin>

I greased my Sliding door track [all three places it glides] I used the white stuff, Lithium I think geeze, let me go out to my va.... :0) Ok, its called "LITH-EASE, All purpose WHITE lithium Lubricant

| What kind of grease? | > and while at it...both my seats tracks but only after I cleared the tracks | > of sheep skin/fur from the aged covers | What kind of grease?

Same stuff, I also used it to lube my shifter

I found one of four slides had this funny looking graphite skid with a part number. Going to check it out at VW tomorrow. | > I also took my dash apart to add diElectric gell to all the connectors, | > well, the ones I could reach anyway...lol | Hey, I just got some of this stuff. Didn't use it yet. | > I decided I'd try to switch the rear heater fan switch to the other fan | > switch location... | > And I am pleased to say it worked out <I'm happy now> | Say what. Switched fan switch locations? How come?

I guess that wasn't too clear, let me try again. On the dash near the right side of the steering wheel, where you turnon the A/C AND HEATER FANS? Well mine fried under the heat... which someone stated they are known to do.... I was fiddling around (with the dash/tach cluster out) and got to looking at the wires that ran to these switches and noticed to the rear of the two switches that the wire colors were all the same (4, I think) So I unplugged it from it's socket and replaced one with the other to see it worked. It did!!! hoooray!!! So now I managed to solve that mystery. Then I proceeded to take apart the "fried" switch to verify it's demise... Yep, as the list suggested it died due to melt down. | > Only took me two hours from start to finish... And all went well. I feel good driving that baby, It's not the beast it was when I bought it. | You're fast. | Cheers, Tom Neal

THEN added (a fishing reel oil to the emergency brake, it's better penetrating because it's a thinner oil) better go back to the van to see what it's called < reaching for shoes>

I'm back... It's "HOPPE'S" lubricating oil orange w/red print (21/4 oz bottle) Used for firearms, fishing reels...blah, blah, blah... It's A PURE LUBRICANT A light, pure orderless oil that will not gum, harden or turn rancid. High Viscosity. Gives lasting protection and lubrication. Cleans and protects wood work. ( yep you read it right) **Plus it keeps rust away!!!! now you know as much as I do...lol I also removed the sliding door panel and lubed and tightened the handle,then added added hoppe's on everythingthat moved in there... :0)

[text/html]