Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 1999 10:52:13 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Westfalia crash damage depreciation estimate

Vanagon listmembers,

I'm trying to gather some information for my insurance company related to an estimate of how much my Westfalia has depreciated in value due to its involvement in a hit-and-run accident. This van was a 1989 Westfalia GL camper in excellent condition with 59k miles, excellent paint with no rust, mechanically well maintained with no problems, full camper package and all appliances work fine, garage kept first 9 nine years, pop top canvas is excellent, body and interior very clean, recent tune up and complete fuel line replacement. This van suffered a heavy impact to the front on the driver's side. Approximately $2800 in damage requiring replacement of front bumper, spoiler, turn signal, lower grill cover. The lower half of the front of the van will be replaced (body included). The frame was bent at a cross piece that connects the end of the bumper to the main frame. This will be straighten out.

Assume that the van is repaired to like-new condition using replacement VW parts at a VW dealer auto body shop, the bent frame is straighten to original condition, and the newly painted front matches the rest of the van. Since I can know longer say that the van has never been in an accident if I tried to sell it in the future, I would appreciate some feedback on a dollar estimate on how much less this van is worth solely because of the fact that it has suffered major-but-repaired damage in an accident. Basically, if you had two identical well-maintained vans in the condition described above but one of the was known to be in an accident that resulted in some frame damage that had been repaired, what should be the price difference between the two?

I appreciate your input on this very much, as I have been told that I may be able to file a claim for depreciated damages incurred as a result of this hit-and-run accident.

Thanks,

Steve

89 Westy