Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 1999 00:14:01 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      My trip to the Northwest , with the Westfalia Syncro TD (longish)
Comments: To: Diesel List <Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com>

Well folks, I made it! 7000 or so punishing miles from Maryland to Oregon and back. The purpose of this trip was mainly to find some snow to play in with my assorted boards and skis, and also to 'shake down' any problems with the conversion before trying a trip outside the US ( Central America?). For most of the time, the van performed flawlessly. Used a total of one quart of Mobil synthetic oil, and NO coolant whatsoever! Many times I surprised the truckers on long grades as I passed them going uphill, a sight that is normally not seen in association with VW vans. My first 'breakage' occurred western MD, the oil buzzer began it's irritating thing every time I would slow down. Back to the shop I went, a 3 hour roundtrip, and replaced both pressure sensors and then the circuit board. No more problem! Next, in Iowa, I wondered why the high-beam indicator wouldn't go out. Headlights 'on', but no lights.....after an hour and the sun going down, the source presented itself in the form of a spark behind the fusepanel.....loose ground to the headlights! Onward!! Crossing Wyoming, I noticed loss of power and excessive black smoke trailing behind, as well as the mileage decreasing to 14mpg!! Since I had been fighting a crosswind all day, I figured that was all it was. Next fuel stop, as I accelerated I heard a loud 'WHOOSH'.... Blew a hole in the turbo pressure hose. Got a close replacement (plus a roll of Duck tape!) at the nearest FLAPS, on my way again. (The hose was one design flaw that will be remedied, it's too close to the heat of the manifold, long hills and wind-filled days cause lots of heat!) Sick of the Interstate at this point, I dropped down into Flaming Gorge, which I highly recommend EVERYONE visit if you are ever in that area....beauty that will astound thee. Mad dash around SLC and too many F*rd Expeditions, augh!... get me away from this!!....finally off the Interstates again in western Idaho, into SE Oregon, and to Baker City the back way...gorgeous.....it's wild how much more you see when you drive the back roads of America....back onto the I'state, but then crossed over into Washington and onto Rt 14 to follow the Columbia River towards Hood River, my ultimate destination. Gorgeous drive the whole way, and Mt. Hood standing up so majestically is such a sight! All of the orchards in bloom, too. Next day, I woke up to the flu, well that stinks!!! So, all I managed to find the energy for was a couple short hikes, and 2 hours of CC skiing. Drove out to Bagby Hot Springs for a looonnnggg soak, aahh....much better. Flu still with me, so I headed back east. Halfway across Wyoming it started snowing and sleeting, and traffic stopped, dead in the road. Twenty mile backup, due to a broke truck ahead in the storm, they said. Four hours, till I would be able to pass......backtrack to beautiful Flaming Gorge (this time snow covered!) and down through Vernal UT and Dinosaur Nat'l Monument. A couple hours of US 40 and I was back onto I-70. West of Denver, two mountain passes, tested the efficiency (or lack of?) of the cooling system. Down into 2nd and 3rd gears, 30~35 mph, smoking-well, like a diesel, temperature almost pegged. The Eisenhower Tunnel is at 11,600 ft! Smooth sailing all the way to TN, where it promptly blew another Turbo hose, thank goodness for duck tape! Ran beautifully all the way home, after a few days visiting my gal in Asheville, NC. Today, however, the sad part of this adventure.....after unpacking, I drove to my shop to give the van an oil change and a once-over, and as I pulled from the drive, the oil light flickered, and the valves started tapping....well that's really strange, I thought! Oil level 1/2 qt. low, topped it and it sounded OK. So a little drive to be sure?....Five miles from the shop, the tap got louder, and Louder, and LOUDER....and BAMMMMM.......the engine locked up!! WHAT the !@#$%&*??? What an ending to this adventure, guess I'll have that new engine after all.....it was sure fun while it lasted! I'll update those interested with what I determine the failure to be. Anyway, if you've been meaning to get out and see this big ol' country, DO it, but my advice is to stay off the Interstate and see the 'real' country. Our Interstates have turned into one big irritating truck-filled madhouse! Sorry for the length.

Karl '87 Westy Syncro 1.9TD (OTTO), 278K km '88 Audi 80 Quattro, 191K mi.