Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 1999 15:09:19 -0700
From:         Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Cooler Upgrade I did...
Comments: To: Joseph Tu <joe@greencastle.dynip.com>

What year is your van? If water cooled, you are giving up an efficient way to reject heat, using the coolant to carry it to the radiator, and the heat exchanger has turbulators in the fluid path for maximum heat transfer. An air to liquid cooler mounted behind the seat metal would be about worthless because there is no forced convection and not even any airflow during most speeds. If you are convinced to add something, I would recommend a front mounted radiator with the proper ducting - see the book "Fluid Dynamic Drag" by Hoerner for more details. Theoretically, you could even gain a very tiny amount of thrust from the added heat energy put into the airstream by the radiator (well within the noise of measurement, tho.)

Randy Bergum 1990 Carat BSME