Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 10:22:40 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Aux oil coolers
Comments: To: Joseph Tu <joe@greencastle.dynip.com>,
          Tim Lott <TkIrMiMsY@AOL.COM>

Tim & Joseph-

Both of you posted in the past couple of days about auxiliary oil coolers; one for the air-cooled, and one for the H20 cooled. VERY interesting subject to me.

I tend to torture my Volkswagens. It would not be uncommon for me to have four people in our Westy, all of our gear, and to be on the interstate climbing mountains, during July heat, at full throttle, for 30 to 40 minutes. Just this past weekend, on the way up to DC, we we're fighting 30 mph headwinds much of the way carrying a heavy load, my foot didn't come off the throttle much for most of the trip. That gets the oil hot.

If you missed it in your post, could you provide some details: brand name, cost, contact info for where you purchased it, whether you bought it on solid recommendation or did a heap of research on the subject-then bought THAT brand (thus we can all feel okay about buying that brand), etc. etc.

Also, please include information about whether or not you're using a thermostat along with the cooler. I think EMPI, SCAT , or Gene Berg sells thermostats for auxiliary oil coolers, but I haven't used one. I think all of us would agree, it only makes good sense to use the thermostat along with the oil cooler (of course, that doesn't explain why haven't used one). Having too low an oil temperature can be just as detrimental as too high. The slow warm up doesn't make anyone happy either.

As far as Tim's question about adding an extra oil pump, there is no straightforward way to add an "extra" oil pump. However, Melling does produce a "High-Capacity" oil pump that bolts right up in place of your regular oil pump; it pumps 150 percent volume, and pressure. You may also want to invest in oil pressure increase springs and pistons. I think EMPI also makes a kit for this, that runs about 10 bucks. Keep in mind, however, that this pump/pressure increase does increase the nonproductive load on your motor.

As for the question of where to install: it depends on how much of an engineer you are, or how much you're willing to spend to have someone else engineer the fittings for it.

The simplest space, would be in the left rear wheel well, using braided oil lines, and a simple louvered cover to protect your oil cooler from stones. If you need an idea of what this should look like, I believe the Porsche 930, and later-model air-cooled 911's have an oil cooler in the left (front) wheel well covered by just such a louvered cover. It is an "arch-style trombone" oil cooler, rather than a brick.

This location is good in that it offers a huge amount of rapidly moving cool airflow, (from the spinning tire). It does not require extensive oil lines running to the front of the vehicle. The disadvantage comes from the fact that while idling, the air cooled motor does spill quite a bit of hot air into the rear wheel wells, and when the vehicle is not moving, there is very little airflow in this area.

A great place to place the oil cooler, would obviously be up front, in the radiator space. Lots of airflow, plenty of space. Disadvantage: extremely long run to the front. I don't know much about hydraulics, and fluid flows, but I imagine by adding 25 feet of oil line, there is got be some increase in "drag". Even if you are able to overcome this "drag" by using a larger oil pump, your motor just has to work all the harder to push that oil around. My pee-brain says pressure loss isn't an issue if you use quality lines (or metal)...it is a closed hydraulic circuit, and the pressure can't vary with length of the run (capacity of the fluid)...am I right?

All that being said, for our 1982 Westy, I had in mind to use a "cheesy" eight-pass oil cooler mounted directly underneath the fresh air intake in front of the van, (radiator area). I have used "Quick-Kool" oil coolers before, and been pleased with results. I planned using the "spin on" adapter that mounts were the oil filter normally would be, and moving the oil filter to another location. I used a similar set up on to other (1976) Volkswagen buses with good results.

I plan to run half-inch copper plumbing piping either through the fittings in the body work that would normally be used for the radiator hoses, or through the central area that currently (also) holds the main heater duct. This copper piping will not be prone to leaks, and also will serve to help shed heat on its way up to the front and on its return.

I plan to do much of this work in the coming weeks, and this is why I'm so interested in your answers.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

Tim Wrote: "I'm adding an oil cooler to my 82 camper. Would you suggest an extra oil pump, this oil cooler has a fan any suggestions on were to install it?" -----Original Message----- From: Joseph Tu [SMTP:joe@greencastle.dynip.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 1:05 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Oil Cooler Upgrade I did...

Hello,

I am just putting in what I did for an add on oil cooler for my van. The factory oil cooler is great, but I feel that it has too little surface area and the is too small for sufficient heat transfer when the fluids pass by. So I opted to add another one. It was an air to oil cooler and it is made by Setrab. I purchased it through the autotech guys, since they are located pretty near where I live. Anyways, as for location, I chose to put the cooler in the area just fore of the transmission, the angled surface that is the back of the storage space under the rear bench. Although This isn't the best location for air flow, it presented the least difficulty in mounting, which was my main goal. <<<snip>>