Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 08:30:56 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maiden voyage of Westy, what to pack?
Comments: To: "Glommen, Jon" <Jon.Glommen@NOVELLUS.COM>

We just made that trip a couple of weeks ago in our Westy . I grew up in Carmel, and we were going to camp at Limekiln Creek, but the FS has a shack as you drive in now, and the woman there was a real bit^# (snotty attitude that just spoiled the whole mood). Decided to head on further south. Had a great drive down the coast and camped at Plaskett Creek (about 50 mi south of Big Sur. Great camp site and no PITA busy-body camp hosts to deal with - just shove your $$ in the slot and enjoy the solitude.

There's also some great primitive spots up off the highway if you don't mind a bit of dirt driving. The dirt roads eventually go up to a place called Comb Peak (there was snow a couple of weeks ago), and also wind their way into Ft. Hunter Liggett. I think the maps are marked "Nacimiento-Fergueson Road" or something like that. Some good camping inside Hunter Liggett, but watch out for tank crossings. :-)

Enjoy your trip. PS - I carry a Bentley manual and a really big Swiss Army knife. My friends call me McGyver. :-)

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: Glommen, Jon <Jon.Glommen@NOVELLUS.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 8:00 AM Subject: Maiden voyage of Westy, what to pack?