Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 13:24:04 EDT
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SCREWED by the ins. co.
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

In a message dated 5/5/99 4:40:24 PM, JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote:

<<any other hints for dealing with a**hole insurance companies, or your own stories, i'd like to hear them....

chris '84 audi 5k turbo totalled, was nearly killed, myself, and i aint getting SQUAT...but i wont go down without a fight!!!!!>>

Chris, You can still get your car appraised even if it is totaled. The appraiser should be able to tell how nice the car was before the accident. Pictures will help you out as well as receipts for parts and repairs. Make a list of why your car was worth what you think and then search the internet for similar cars in the same condition to show the value.

If your car was show worthy, you can find similar cars in Hemmings to use for comparison. When my Thing was hit, I hired an appraiser, found listings in Hemmings and used some backup from the Thing Registry to show that the car was worth more than the repairs it needed.

You may need to get a lawyer, or if you had full coverage on your car, let your insurance company settle with you and then they will go after the other guy for their money. If they arbitrate and find in your favor, you will get your deductible back.

I had another accident about 10 years ago that was totally the other driver's fault. I tried to deal with her insurance company, but they would only offer 55%, as they told me that no accident was ever 100% anyone's fault. I settled with my insurance company instead and then called my lawyer.

My lawyer settled for enough to cover my expenses and his fees. I didn't come out ahead, but I didn't loose either. My insurance company took the other drivers company to arbitration, and settled for 100%. I got my deductible back.

The other company should have settled with me right away. They would have saved at least $2K.

Steve Lashley <A HREF="http://www.eurocampers.com/">http://EuroCampers.com</A> Importing German Bus Tents, Carver Propane Heaters and other Cool Accessories for Bus, Vanagon and EuroVan. '93 EV MV '74 Campmobile