Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 14:46:55 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Do I forgive my VW?
Comments: To: Martin Laycock <m.laycock@STRATH.AC.UK>

Forgive? What was her crime? Being old and therefore needing more maintaince than the spiffy new stuff thats around now? Grandma is also getting a little long in the tooth. May we replace her with a younger model that also requires less upkeep and perhaps has a better looking pair of legs? If we do, can we also call the new model "Grandma" and thus somehow transfer the SOUL of the old to the new? Did one of your children ever break a leg? Did you then consider the possibilities of saving a few bucks by putting the old broken child up for adoption and replacing him with a new one? I recall an old joke where a man tells his wife "When you reach 40 I am going to trade you in for two 20 year olds." I believe the same spirit has infected you. But if you are repelled by some of the above "practical" suggestions for Grandma and your kids there is perhaps, hope for you yet. Sometimes the cost of repairs hurt and it sometimes seems that it's one thing after another that fails but if you keep at it there will come a point where the failures slow down to a crawl. When I first got my Westy it seems like it spent one day in my garage for every hour on the road but that time passed and now it is just about the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. More than any other vehicle I have ever owned she is MY van. Mine in a sense that goes way byond the mear possession of the pink-slip. True, she is a little ragged around the edges and is not a pretty as some of the new stuff out there but, like Grandma, she cannot be replaced without loosing something VASTLY more important than what would be gained. Care for your van and nurse her through these bad times. On the other side I think you will see what I mean. And consider this. The part you just replaced my be the final one that will need replacing for quite some time. If you sell her now the new owner and NOT you will be the benefactor of all the work you have put into her so far. You will have created a very reliable vehicle and then given it away at precisely the point where the benefits would have started coming your way. In any case you are now one repair closer to VW Nirvana than you were before.

----- Original Message ----- From: Martin Laycock <m.laycock@STRATH.AC.UK> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 10:55 AM Subject: Do I forgive my VW?